Sunday, March 11, 2012

Alumnus John Blevins Slams Another Voice-Over


Media Arts alumnus John Blevins records another slamming voice-over for MSG Networks in a series premiering tonight:  TheLineup.
John is not in the teaser.
You may know John, he comes back to provide voice-overs for my classes every year. Good going, John!
I used Johnzo for some VOs in my band’s last recording. Here, in The CYCLONES cover of The Dead Boy’s classic “I Need Lunch,” he correctly IDs and credits original DBs bassist Jeff Magnum at the end of the song:

4 comments:

  1. 1) Fuckin sweet cover!
    2) Too bad we didn't get to record John Blevins!
    3) So when are we recording The Cyclones? Haha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vin, I did not know you are in a band. Bring it once so we record you, seriously, it would be great to see you in action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recorded that CD in a strange way. I was the engineer, the producer and the drummer. I only had my brother, the guitarist/singer, to help. But he does not know anything about engineering. So I basically set everything up, set the trims from experience, rolled test recordings, and came back to the control room to hear what it sounded like. (Was recorded in the crappy old Fries studio.) Made repeated adjustments....like this back and forth and then just went with it. Tiring if you have to drum and engineer. Its tiring to do just one of those.

    That led to some problems in the drum recording, but I think it's OK.

    Another big problem was that my brother blew up his guitar amp a day before the recording, Murphy's Law says that will always happen. Anyway, he used a borrowed one, and it did not have his signature sound. I struggled with that loss of correct sound for the entire project.

    It was great, however, to get Jeff Magnum in to play bass on a few of the songs, like the one above. My band is really a duo, drums and guitar.

    I do not think I will be playing drums and running a class anytime soon.
    : )

    ReplyDelete