Saturday, March 24, 2012

Quan-Group Session Notes


Erich and Osato had to overcome some serious issues during the course of this 10-hour session, and, in the end, the recording sounds good. Quan and the group did a great job and a big thanks to them for being so patient. Amazing. We may be able to do a return session for overdubs at some point.
I’ll just mention two of the more serious problems, because I am trying to distance myself from the bad memories.
Firstly, not the Engineer’s fault: Staff had disconnected the C24 and reconnected it carelessly, which caused several mispatches to C24 line inputs. I corrected the miswired connections, but I’d bet that burned a few hours of good time. To remind you, we were boosting the keyboard instrument output to a useable level, routing it through C24 line inputs to achieve gain. Remember that if any C24 input is in use, mic or line, then it is unavailable to the other, regardless of available patch points in the bay. So any C24 input module can be either mic or line for a particular numbered input, say #12. So, 12 can be either mic or line, but not both.
The other issue, Erich’s fault, is that stray inputs and audio remnants from a previous session used as a template caused the drum mix to have multiple inputs at a certain point. Normally I take the Engineer through the initial session setup to ensure everything is correct and the folder hierarchy is logical, residing in the proper location, and that the mixer is set up appropriately. I did not do it this time and we wound up with the aforementioned issues and a session which is intermingled with The Break Evens’. Next session I will supervise this, but I think everyone should be clear on this by now.
Osato and others, see my previous post regarding signal flow.
This session is not yet split-out to a student version for mixing. No one is allowed in my folder. Some sound files from Terry Haman’s session have been deleted. I repeat, no one is allowed in my folder.
Next session, which I have just finalized, will be the most complex yet this semester and I will post details shortly.
Photos to freshen the bad memories troubleshooting:




































3 comments:

  1. I liked last session and I also thought that we spent too much time fixing problems we did not know.
    I'd like to be engineer next time, who wants to be second? or Vin will say who, since it would be a heavy session?

    and

    since we are not allowed in Vin's folder, can we mix some other sessions anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be placing a copy of this session in the "student sessions for mixing" folder next time I am in CRC.

      Delete
  2. Quan just posted this. He included some clips from our session with him: http://youtu.be/dOlgcl0QzD0

    ReplyDelete